Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Expedition journal June 14th, 2011

Expedition Journal
This is the baseline Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route that the Cycling W3R Expedition is following. Our primary mission to find a safe Bike Route on the National Historic Trail.
You see Joy Homestead above Newport, that is the first official stop
on the Cycling W3R Expediton on July 1st.
 With 16 days left to go, I am starting to feel the enormity of this expedition....and it's awesome!


General Washington and General Rochambeau
 I talked with a local film maker today, and was explaining all the differenent roles I am playing on the Cycling W3R Expedition; logistics, marketing, public relations, photographer, blogger and social media, sponsorship, fundraising, bike mechanic, cartographer, videographer, oh, and head chef! ;) Plus the guy that rides the 45lbs expedition bicycle with another 40+lbs of gear for

700+ miles through 9 states on the Eastern Seaboard of the United States of America.

Pretty cool, huh?

It is time to update the blogsite too. I hope to get to that in the next couple of days. I will delete some pages and add some. It should be cool.

I woke up this morning at 2am. Alot on my mind, and I could not get back to sleep, so made a pot of black coffee and went for a walk. I like walking in the predawn hours. I could see flashes of lightening off to the south, but the sky above me was clear and the air muggy.

I got to thinking abut the soldiers back in 1781, whose footsteps I will be retracing on our historic expedition. Our schedules will not be too much different. The troops arose every morning at 2am, broke camp, and where marching by 4am. The objective was to be in camp by noon, so there was time to mingle with the locals, rest, eat, and whatever else they needed to do. These men were tough, carring 60-80 lbs rucksacs, 13lbs muskets, wearing wool clothes, with high wool socks and uncomfortable shoes. The French had to wear wigs too. Can you imagine?

My schedule is be up by 6am and out of camp by 7am, and done cycling by 1pm, so I too can nap, mingle with locals, blog, do interviews, and explore our great country.

As I roll on the route, I will share more about French and American Soldiers expedition and experiences while on Cycling W3R. OK, I am tired, and need sleep, still have to ride home, only about 45 min away.

Bill Poindexter, Expedition Leader.

PS Thanks so much to my good friend, Joel Crown who donated $100.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment